Thursday, September 9, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday My Grandmother Alta Zion's Letters



I never knew my Grandmother Alta Louise Zion, my father's mother. She was born to Arthur Hall and Mabel Jane (Coleman) Hall on June 26, 1892 in Evansville, Wisconsin.
She married Perry Zion on February 21, 1944 and had five children John, George, Arthur ( my dad) and his twin sister Alice and Joe. She died from cancer 1944 and I was not born till September 1948.
I have very little of what she owned. I have a few pieces of china, an autograph book that is priceless to me ( my grandfather wrote in it ), a souvenir that her mother received from her father from the Chicago World's Fair of 1893 and I have a few letters she wrote to my father and mother.
Tonight for Treasure Chest Thursday I am scanning and sharing one of them.
Winlock Washington Nov 22, 1943
Dear Art and Muriel
Thanks alot for you pictures, I know you would be happy by the pictures. I love my daughter in law and God Bless you both.
Mrs. Day ( my mom's mother) I thank you for writing me a card telling me the word, I had been worried about him, although I never should of have worried , I trust the Lord. I looked them up Fort William and Sue Canal. We have found them. It was something to see them.
Leona Francy had the appendix operation on Sat. She came thru. Cecil was going to see her Sun.
My cousin Grace Brunsell is living at Evansville Wisc ???? but I don't know the number.
Dad had lived at Bemidji the county seat. He was at Wilton the p office at Minnesota.
Grandma is staying with me as Etta is going to Tacoma. She just phone to Winlock that she was at the Depot.
She stayed about 2 weeks.
The weather is warm and foggy till noon. It is about usual weather. The sun shone at two or three. And be foggy about dark.
Joe had his birthday he was 21. Lola Allen had a birthday the same day only she was a year younger. She was 20.
Alice and John gave the supper. Joe said his thank you for your pretty birthday card.
I've got a bad cold and I can think of any thing to write.
Lot of love Mom
They are just short and newsy but I love to see her hand writing. They are real treasures to me.
Thanks for stopping by. Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...