Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Amanuensis Monday Harmon Carpenter Sr / Carpender Last Will and Testament 1780 - 1860

Today for Amanuensis Monday I am transcribing the Last Will and Testament of Harmon Carpenter Sr .
This was found on Oneida.nygenweb.net and I would like to thank Dawn Holst who was so
 kind to transcribe and share. Without her work I would probably not have this piece of history.

Will of Harmon Carpenter 1780 - 1860 note spelling of Carpenter and Carpender.

     The last will and testament of Harmon Carpender of Rome in the country of Oneida and of New York.
     I Harmon Carpender of Rome aged seventy six years, considering the uncertainly of life and being of sound mind and memory do make and publish this my last will and testament in manner following that is to say.
 FIRST  I give and bequeath to my daughter Betsey Christman ten dollars to be paid to her after my death by my son David Carpender of Floyd as her portion of my estate.
SECOND I give and bequeath to my daughter Harriet Chrisman ten dollars to be paid to her after my death by David Carpender 2nd as her share of my estate
( NOTE this is Harriet's son by her deceased first husband. David was legally adopted by Harmon and his name was changed from Chrisman to Carpenter. also at the time will was drawn Harriet had was married to  Levi Anderson  )
THIRD I give and bequeath to my son Harmon Carpender Junior five dollars when demanded after my death to be paid by my grandson David Chrisman now called David Carpender 2nd as his share of my estate.
NOTE (Harmon Carpender is a problem son and has spent time in prison more information needed here.)
FOURTH I give and bequeath to my son David Carpender of Floyd all that piece of parcel of land situated in Floyd containing sixty eight acres more or less and adjoining the farm of David Carpender and to his heirs forever and after the payment of ten dollars to my daughter Betsey Chrisman.
FIFTH I give and bequeath to my grandson now called David Carpender 2nd and the son of my daughter Harriet all my homestead farm on which I now reside containing about fifty seven acres more or less for himself and his heirs forever. Also that other piece  or parcel of land  called Levi Anderson lace and now occupied by my daughter Harriet, containing about twenty six acres of land more or less to his heirs for ever. Also all my cattle, horses, sheeps, hogs, farming utensils together with all my ready money, bonds, mortgage notes, accounts and other evidence of debts where in due or owing or which may become due an owing from any person or persons whom ever after the payments of my just debts and after the erection of suitable monuments at my grave and the grave of my wife and the payment of ten dollars to Harriet Christman and five dollars to Harmon Carpender Jr.
SIXTH and last I hereby appoint my son David Carpender of Floyd sole executor of this my last will and testament and revoking hereby all wills by me formerly made.
In witness where I have here unto set my hand and seal of Rome this  5th of December 1857.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...