Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Family Notebooks


My family notebooks are large white notebooks with a plastic front piece where you can slip a picture or poem. Here is a copy of mine. I have the poem


The Recording of a Cemetary



Today we walked where others walked

On a lonely, windswept hill

Today we talked where others cried

For loved Ones whose lives are stilled

Today our hearts were touched

By Graves of tiny babies

Snatched from the arms of loving kin

In the heartbreak of the ages

Today we saw where the grandparents lay

In the last sleep of their time

Lying under the trees and clouds

Their beds kissed by the sun and wind.

Today we wondered about an unmarked spot; Who lies beneath this hollowed ground?

Was it a babe, child , young or old?

No indication could be found.

Today we saw where Mom and Dad lay.

We had been here here once before.

On a day we'd all like to forget.

But will remember forever more.

Today we recorded for kith and kin

The graves of ancestors past;

To be treasured for generations hence.

A record we hope will last.

Cherish it, my friend; preserve it my friend.

For stones sometimes crumble to dust

And generations of folks yet to come

Will be grateful for your trust.

by Thelma Greene Reagan


Surrounding this is pictures of headstones of some family.

As I do my searches they are always near even if they are gone from me for now.

I hope that all I have done will someday be treasured by my future generations. So much of today is emails and text messages. Nothing is recorded for our future generations. We need to record what is happening today with pictures and notes so that their will be something of us when we are gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...