Thursday, April 2, 2009

Genealogy Organization Week Two

The goal of week two is to develop a filing system, if you have not done so yet. The steps are as follows:
a. Create a SURNAME NOTEBOOK for each major name. If you are just starting out you could combine them into one notebook for now. I like large 3 ring binders rather than folders. These can sit in your book case or even be a coffee table book eventually.
b. I put each direct line family group sheets in chronological order starting (youngest to oldest) with myself the youngest. In the future, when I do a book for my sons and grandchildren , I will put them first. Put a divider tab clearly labeled DIRECT LINE ( parents, grandparents, great grandparents, etc) For my grandparents and great grandparents where I have more information, I have divided my grandfather and grandmother with a divider tab. For each person, I have a pedigree chart printed out to show family line.
c. I then put COLLATERAL LINES in chronological order in same note book. ( my uncles and aunts are right behind my parents, great uncles and aunts after grandparents and so on.)
d. file any papers you have that are not proven individuals or families in the same note book with a divider tab marked .. "Further Research." You could also have a separate note book with this information divided in to family lines. Have fun developing your Surname notebooks and getting organized with all your information.

This will be an on going process as you find more family members to add to your family notebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...