Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My " Zion " family roots


My interest in genealogy started over 10 years ago. My father's sister started that interest as she would share graphs and names of my dad's family the " Zion " family. She would share family names the Colemans, Cheuvront's and the Hall family. As I searched I found more and more names. The more you look the wider the family gets. My Zion line came from Germany some time before 1770. As of now we do not know his or his wife's name. He was probably born about 1749. My first known Zion ancestor is John W Zion who was born about 1770 in North Fork Holston River Washington County Virginia. He had a sister named Rebecca Zion. John married Lucy McCornick November 3rd 1789 in Washington County Virginia.

Part of my interest in my family history is the history of the area and what happened in the lives of my ancestors. By going to http://www.google.com/ and putting in Washington County Virginia history I found the following information at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vawashin/

The first white settlers arrived in what is present day Washington County in the 1760's. Abingdon, Va. was known as Wolf Hills before "Abingdon" was selected as the name of the county seat. Washington County was formed from Fincastle County in 1777, the county seat, Abingdon was formed in 1778. The original Washington County, VA in addition to containing some of the other present day surrounding counties also contained what is today, Sullivan County, TN. Visit this page, Early Settlers of Washington Co, VA, to see some of the names of the early settlers to county (before 1780). Burned by Union forces in 1864. The county is divided into seven magisterial districts: Harrison, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Taylor, Tyler, and Wilson.
I searched the Early settlers link and only a few names were listed. I saw a McCormick but not a Zion so the search continues. I wonder if the McCormick is related to Lucy McCormick.
I hope that you will continue to join me in my search for my roots

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...