Saturday, November 21, 2009

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: Who Is Your MRUA? My Search For Andrew Daly



Randy Seaver over at Genea-Musings has issued another Saturday Night Genealogy Fun challenge: Who is your MRUA - your Most Recent Unknown Ancestor? Have you looked at your research files recently for this unknown person? What offline or online sources might you search to help you identify your MRUA?

My is number 14 on my Pedigree Chart His name is Andrew Daly and he is the father of my grandmother.

This is my super brick wall. My grandmother Grace was born in July of 1892 in Minnesota, but her mother never married her father. My great grandmother did marry in December of 1893, to a wonderful man who raised my grandmother as his own.

I was never really told much about my grandmother's birth father while growing up.They did tell me his name. We were led to believe that he was a no good scoundrel who took off for Chicago. I wish my grandmother would have talked about him, but she was of another generation. That is all we got, he was no good and went to Chicago.

It was not until my mother and uncle were getting older that they finally pulled out a picture of him some time in 2000.

My darling uncle even whispered "Our little mama was illegitimate."At least we have a name and a picture.

This is my great grandfather. His name is Andrew Daly . I really doubt he went to Chicago.

I tried to get my grandmother's birth certificate but no luck as there is none available to the public.

I have searched the census in the area where I think he may have lived and may have found him. I believe he lived and died in La Crosse Wisconsin/ Winona Minnesota area. I even found a cemetery in the area with a grave with the same name as his.

But until I find some one with the same photo on the Internet I will really never know that I have found him.

All I have is this photo of a handsome young man. His name is Andrew and he is one of my grandfathers.

He probably was a good man for some reason they never married. He probably married , had children and died.

I do know he saw my grandma Grace at least once. My great grandma's brother had died in an accident in 1911. Andrew came to the funeral. I am told my great grandma said " Andrew this is our Grace"

How I wish my grandma Grace had talked about him and anything else she may have known about him and his family. She never did and this one photo is all I have of him.

One day I will search further on this Andrew Daly and see if I can find links on http://www.ancestry.com/ of his kin. From there maybe I can find a picture and either confirm it is him or I have hit another brick wall.
Go to http://www.geneamusings.com/2009/11/saturday-night-genealogy-fun-who-is.html to read about others brick walls. Thanks for stopping by and have a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...