Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sentimental Sunday Grandpa Bill and Grandma Grace Day


This picture is of grandpa and grandma Day with us girls left to right is me (Grace) , my cousin Bonnie next to me and the little one is my cousin Cheryl, next to them is my sister Mary. It was taken January 12th 1959 for their 48TH wedding anniversary. No smile on my face, I must of been going through a serious phase.

Today I am sharing a story of my grandparents on my mother's side. William H and Grace ( Esler) Day.

I grew up with them being only 2 blocks from where we lived . Every Sunday I would walk to their house and from there walk to church with them.

Sundays were spent at their house after church. Noon time dinner was usually a roast beef and was fantastic. The adults would sit in the dining room, my sister Mary and cousins Bonnie and Cheryl and myself sitting in the kitchen at the smaller table.

The dining room table always had a white table cloth and white cloth napkins. The best china was used and the coffee cups were decorative china cups. I have several now and remember watching them sip their coffee from these dainty cups

This picture was probably taken for another celebration of my grandparents anniversary. Front row is my Aunt Daisy, Grandpa Bill and Grandma Grace. Back row from left to right is my father, my mother, Aunt Lil and Uncle Don.
Sundays were always church and then family time at the dinner table. After dinner my father and my grandfather would go into to the living room to watch a baseball game. My grandfather loved the New York Yankees. My father would be for what ever team my grandfather was not for so they could have a little fun teasing each other.

While the men watched TV the other adults would sit at the dining room table and drink coffee and visit.

My grandparents were always so loving, and I miss them terribly even now. This picture is how they looked at that time. They always dressed up to go to church. This picture was taken for their for their 50Th anniversary.



Sentimental Sunday is a time to share some of those stories of our family. As I post about my family members, I print out my postings and put in my family book so that years from now family members will not only have the stories but maybe some of my thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. Grace, This is just a lovely story. Your family will cherish these stories --- and will recognized from whence they came. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely memories of your grandparents; if only we knew as children how we should treasure the times such as the Sundays you have described.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are lovely memories, and I love what you are doing with your SS postings! When I created the theme, I hadn't thought about doing that, but it is a wonderful idea, so I think I might start doing the same thing!
    Thanks for sharing your memories!

    Renate

    ReplyDelete

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...