Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday Remembering My Great Great Great Grandmother Carpenter Chrisman Anderson Cocagne




In Minnesota several of my ancestors are buried. Life is done for them, they have loved and lived their lives caring for those around them. Their stories are hard to find and I am in constant search to find out about them. Today for Tombstone Tuesday I am featuring my Great Great Great Grandma Harriet Carpenter Chrisman Anderson Cocagne.

Harriet was born December 13 1814 in Rome New York to Harmon and Phoebe Christman Carpenter and died December 5th 1908 in Wabasha Minnesota. She was married a total of three times.
First husband David Chrisman ( may of been a first cousin) married when Harriet was 19 years old. Harriet had two children by him, David Chauncey and Monica. David Chrisman dies in 1836.
In 1837 Harriet marries Levi Anderson, they have 6 children together. The first being Betsey my great great grandmother. Other children are Abram, Phoebe, William , George and then Fairfax. In 1858 Levi supposidly dies, we have not found his obit or grave. There was a Levi Anderson who died 1860 found frozen to death, alcohol being the cause. We do not know if this is the same Levi Anderson of New York.
Third husband Charles marries Harriet in 1872 and dies in 1900. Harriet dies in 1908 and is buried in the Pleasant Prairie Cemetery in Zumbro, Minnesota. Harriet lived to almost be 94 years old , she out lived 3 husbands and 5 children.
I am sure there is a lot to learn about Harriet and I have just started my search for her. I am pleased I was able to find her grave in 1999 and was able to leave her a flower at that time.
Harriet did not live to know that two of her grandsons would be murdered. In 1927 her first son David's son George is murdered in a neighbor dispute and in 1929 daughter Betsey's son George is murdered while doing his job as a guard at the docks in Duluth, Minnesota. This crime was never solved.

These pictures are Harriet and her third husbands tombstones. I was able to take these pictures in 1999.
The picture above is of Harriet, daughter Betsey Day ( my great great grandmother ) and Phoebe Harrison ( I believe that this Monica's daughter)


No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...