Saturday, April 3, 2010

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Degrees of Separation

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Degrees of Separation over at http://www.geneamusings.com/

Find an ancestral line that stretches back to the time of the US Revolutionary War (1775-1783), about 230 years. Define your person-to-person connection (the person actually met the next person on the list) back to a historical figure from that time.

1. Me ( 1948 to ???) I knew my daddy of course ( 1922 - 2009).

2. I am pretty sure my dad met his maternal grandmother Mabel Coleman. (1872 - 1946)

3. I would think that that Mabel would of known her maternal grandfather Lemuel Cheuvront ( 1812 - 1896)

4. Lemuel Cheuvront probably knew his paternal grandfather Joseph Cheuvront.

5. Joseph is my Revolutionary war veteran . Joseph was born in France 1755 near the Swiss border. Family tradition says he was born to Roman Catholic Parents and was educated to by them for the priesthood. While yet in his teens he came in touch with the Methodist and accepted their faith to the great displeasure and grief of his parents. His parents disowned him and mourned him as dead. He became a stowaway on a vessel bound for America and upon arrival in New York was " bound out " to John Ellsworth who paid the captain for his passage. Joseph married John's daughter Elizabeth. They had six children. Joseph enlisted in the American Revolutionary war in Spring 1780 and continued his service until the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown, Virginia, October 19, 1781.
Joseph's wife Elizabeth died and he remarried Sarah.
Notes say his record of service has been recorded at the DAR and membership granted his descendants. Joseph died March 31, 1832. I started an application and did not get far. Need to try again with help from a member of the DAR.

Maybe Joseph met George Washington. I probably will never know but I am proud of Joseph my fifth great grandfather.
So that is 4 generations to my ancestor and 5 to George Washington.
I have visited the National Archives in Washington D. C. and have some papers requesting pension from his wife Sarah.

Next ancestor is John Rouse.

1. Me ( 1948 to ???) I knew my daddy of course ( 1922 - 2009).

2. I am pretty sure my dad met his maternal grandmother Mabel Coleman. (1872 - 1946)

3. I would think that that Mabel would of known her maternal grandmother Mary Rouse ( wife of Lemuel Cheuvront from above ancestor) ( 1813 - 1904 )

4. Mary Rouse probably new her paternal grandfather Smith Rouse ( 1769 - 1840)

5. Smith Rouse's father was John Doty Rouse born Dec 9 1741 in New York. Married Hannah Smith. I have the records of his service from the National Archives. The records say he served 11 months actual service as a lieutenant and captain in the N. Y. troops, Revolutionary war; part of the time he served under Capt. Thompson and Col. Graham. He enlisted at Northeast N. Y. John died January 19, 1834 New York

That is 4 generations to John Doty Rouse who maybe met George Washington.

My third known ancestor to be in the Revolutionary war would be Ebenezer Coleman Sr ( 1731 to 1824).
This line once again begins with my great grandmother Mabel Coleman

3. Mabel would of known her paternal grandfather Elic Chalker Coleman Sr. (1805 - 1873)

4. Elic Chalker Coleman would of known his paternal grandfather Ebenezer Sr. (1731 -1824)

5. Ebenezer was in the Revolutionary war per family history. I do not have his papers handy to get further information or neglected to get them when visiting Washington D C years ago. Further research needed her.

Interesting to note Mabel had 3 ancestors in the Revolutionary war. The fourth grandparent would be on the Beiler line and I do not know much of this family's history.

Thanks for stopping by tonight and viewing some of my family history. Hope to see you again someday. Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...