Friday, April 2, 2010

Tracing My Coleman Family Line From England part 1

I can trace my Coleman line back to Thomas Coleman who was born in Svesham, Worcester, England in 1598. Thomas is my 9th great grandfather. Parents unknown at this time.
At http://www.ancestry.com/ I find that he married Katherine Higginson, Frances Albright, and Francis Belcher. I believe that Katherine Higginson is my ancestor John's mother. John was born in 1635 Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut.
Thomas married the two Frances after John's birth date.
There are three marriages for Thomas. First is to Katherine, April 22, 1619 with no source noted. Second one in 1646 to Francis Albright


and Francis Belcher in 1650.
These are sourced on marriage records at http://www.ancestry.com/
Also I found Passenger and Immigration list index telling that Thomas came in 1635 the same year that John was born. Name of ship unknown at this time. Katherine either got pregnant during the trip to the United States or after arriving in America. The trip from England to America would of taken about two months.
At Ancesry I found a biography on Thomas Coleman, this will give me further sources to read when I can get to a genealogy center that carry these sources. The biography itself is very small with not much more to learn than what I have.
It mentions his son John saying he was a freeman and that he probably removed to Hatfield, Massachusetts in 1659. That his first wife was killed in 1677 , along with daughter Bethia. This could of happen during the Indian wars . http://www.hampshirecountyhistory.com/hatfield/barber/index.html
http://www.hampshirecountyhistory.com/

Each of us has a family story to tell. My family stories mainly begin with the beginning of settling of America. History full of excitement, adventure, births, deaths and hardship.

Hope that you will join me again as I continue to tell my family story.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...