Sunday, March 3, 2019

March Woman's History Month Post 1 Mary Cassell Zion GG Grandmother Paternal Side





March is National Women's History Month . The theme for National Women's History Month 2019 is Visionary Women: Champions of Peace & Nonviolence”. 

This is a perfect month to concentrate on my female ancestors. They may not of led efforts to end war, violence and injustice but I am sure they each have a story. of holding the family together. Being strong in their own right. And you never know I may find that story. 

This month I have been searching for the civil war records of my second great grandfather John Henderson Zion.  At this time I know he was drafted June 1863 into the Iowa 5th but I have nothing else as of now.  I need to research deeper into ancestry records.  As of this time I have found nothing more. I plan to call the National Archives to see if this is enough information to get his record.  I have asked for help from 
http://iagenweb.org/civilwar/books/logan.htm tonight. Hopefully they will be able to help me.  This is a wonderful site to find information and will be spending more time there. 

As my great great grandfather is drafted into the civil war my great great grandmother is left at home to take care of the family. 

Her name is Mary Cassell . She was born on the 19th of October 1834 in Coles, Illinois to Jonathan Cassell 1812 - 1845 and Elizabeth Carmicheal 1812 - 1899.

At the time John is drafted to fight in the war she is will be left home to care for three children.  They are Mary Elizabeth born 21st of September 1854, William McCormick born 12th of March 1858 and Johnathan Adam my great grandfather who was born 29th of September 1861.  John and Mary's fourth child will join the family in 1868 and be named Etta Anna Gertrude. 

John and Mary were living in Jamul, Decatur county, Iowa in 1863 and is a local farmer.  

Questions to answer 
Who was living near by to help Mary when John goes to war.?
What was life like in the area during this time? 
 I look at her eyes and I see a strong woman and I look forward to researching her more this week. 

To be Continued








No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...