Thursday, March 7, 2019

OBITUARY John L H Zion 1831 to 1920 Leon Iowa One My 2nd Great Grandfathers

Found this at Genealogy Bank March 7th 2019

I am always so excited when I find something new on one of my ancestors . I found a few other items on great great grandpa John and will be sharing them soon.  I see a strong kind man when I look at his eyes.



Thursday  May 06, 1920 Leon Reporter Leon Iowa page 11 

     John L H Zion was born November 28th 1831 in Rush County Indiana and departed from earthly existence on April 22, 1920 at Foster Missouri being at the time of his death of the great age of 88 years 4 months and 4 days.  He was the son of McCormick and Mary Zion, his father being a baptist minister.  When a young boy he removed with his parents to Des Moises County , Iowa , where he met and married Mary Cossell in September 1853. To this union were born four children Mary Elizabeth Creveling of near Foster Missouri, William M Zion of Smith Center, Kansas, Adam Jonathan Zion of Craig Colorado and Anna Gertrude Piercy who preceded him to the great beyond 29 years. His aged wife departed this life November 29 1919 and was laid to rest in Lillie cemetery, two miles north of Lamoni, Iowa.
     The subject of this sketch and his young wife were among the first settlers of De Catur City in 1859, where he engaged in the business of farming the virgin soil. Soon after the great civil war he purchased and removed to a fine farm three miles N W of Lamoni where he continued to reside until age compelled him to retire.
     Uncle John, as his hundreds of friends called him was large in statue, exemplary in morals and faithful husband, an indulgent father and an obliging friend.
     Funeral by Rev E C Vanderpool of Grand River, Iowa April 25th 1920. Interment in Lillie cemetery.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...