Saturday, July 11, 2009

Wedding Picture of My Great Aunt Grace 1929



Today I wanted to show you a beautiful wedding picture I have of my great aunt Grace (Day )Gatzemeyer Crosby.
I do not have much information written down about her. What I do know for sure is she was born May 11Th 1900 to William Albert and Carrie ( Lockwood ) Day and died November 14, 1993.
She was the sister of my grandfather William on my mother's side.
What a pretty bride she was the day she married Lloyd Gatzemeyer, who I thinks first name was really Joseph according to the 1930 census. That is her sister Gladys as her bridesmaid. I am not sure of the groomsman name but may be one of her brothers either Bernard or Morris.
They were married about 1929. According to the census of 1930 They are 41 and 30 years old . The 1930 census asks age of first marriage and they give the age of 40 and 29. This tells me they had been married about a year.
The wedding dress and bridesmaid dress seem sheer and the hem lines end just above the knee. Her veil is floor length and also sheer. My great aunt Gladys is wearing a wonderful brimmed hat. The picture was take at the New Hennepin Studio in Minneapolis, Minnesota .They never had any children. Not sure how the marriage ended yet.
I do know she married a second time to Carl Crosby but I do not think that marriage lasted real long. He died within a few years of their marriage.


I have memories as a child riding the train to Minneapolis with my Aunt Daisy, sister and cousin to visit Aunt Grace and Aunt Gladys. My aunt Daisy was close to them, so we went once every summer. Great memories.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...