Thursday, September 17, 2009

Leaving Memories For Our Descendants

Oh how I wish I had more writings from my ancestors. Letters, notes anything to get to know them better. Glimpse into their lives. What they were doing, what was happening. I mentioned this very fact to my sister the other night. " I wish we had more knowledge of our family.

How did my grandparents meet? I do not know how my mother's parents met. I do know that my father's parents went to school together and he wrote in her autograph book as did family members and friends. This wonderful old book was passed down to me and is one of my most treasured memories. It belonged to my grandmother Alta and is about 100 years old and very fragile. Some of the pages are loose but it is so beautiful.

Alta's mother wrote Feb 20, 1910 Dear Daughter May your cup of happiness always be full. Her father just wrote his initials. And on September 8, 1911 her future husband wrote. Friend Alta Wishing you success through life. Your friend Perry Zion. They married June 11Th 1913.

But this does not tell me how did they met, were they dating in 1911 when he wrote in her book?
I do know I need to start writing down different pieces of my history. If I don't someday my descendants will be saying the same thing. I need to write down each piece of history I find about my ancestors and put it together for those in the future to read.
I found an envelope that my aunt daisy wrote down all the places she and her parents had lived. This gives me a glimpse of history for them. I wish it had been written on a pretty piece of stationery but this shows a part of her that was very frugal. She saved everything. I should write that some day. It is a sad story that needs to be told. Another day though.
This is my Aunt Daisy in 1940 in Mora Minnesota...

Have you started a journal yet? Where have you lived .... favorite teacher... the best part of growing up... grandma or grandpa had an unusual habit... I met someone special ... Where did we work, go to school or what are our favorite foods?
So many things to think and write about but one day at a time.
For now I think I will write all the places I know I have lived and see if I can find pictures of some of them. That may be of interest to some one some day. Next maybe memories of meeting my first husband, then my second husband. Maybe the day I had my boys or when I first met my step children ... so many different memories to think about.


How about you ... are you making a journal of memories? Mine will be in a three ring binder that I can add pictures, postcards and mementos.

2 comments:

  1. I love your idea for a journal of memories. I do try to keep scrap books and momentos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 4 large three ring binders of my family research so far. 2 for my mother's side and 2 for my father's side. These would be perfect place to add a page of memories of my aunt daisy with her information and add pictures. I could add the post card from her friend Alta. I want to do these with all of my pictures and memories while I can. Hopefully when I am done there will be a shelf or two of binders for my children and grandchildren to look at for years to come. Thank you for stopping by and reading my post and taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...