Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tombstone Tuesday James and Rachel Woodmansee



Today for Tombstone Tuesday I am featuring my third grandparents James and Rachel ( Hammer ) Woodmansee. They are my great grandparents on my father's side.


James was born December 13, 1816 Felicity , Clemont, Ohio and Died May 16 1898 at the age of 81 years 16 day in Decatur , Iowa.
Rachel Hammer was born November14 1819 Jackson, Indiana and died December 9 1889 at the age of 70 years and 25 days Decatur, Iowa
They married October 29 1835 in Jackson Indiana.
The 1860 census reports him as a farmer and value of land at $4000 and estate at $2800 which seems to be a comfortable area in comparison to his neighbors on the census.
John and Rachel had 5 children listed in the 1860 census with my second great grandma Anne married and out of the house already.
In the 1880 census there is a young boy who is 7 year old listed by the name Willie Boil who census states is adopted.
Interesting what you find when looking at the census reports at http://www.ancestry.com/ Where did this young boy come from and why did they adopt him. They are in their early 60's and he is nine years old. Because of ancestry I not only am able to see the census but someone had shared this picture and their headstone that I now have in my family research book for future generations to see.
Thanks for stopping by... Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...