Saturday, October 31, 2009

Remembering A Baby Brother We Never Knew


Today is Halloween 2009 but to me it is a day of remembering a baby brother I never knew. It may be Halloween but it is also the anniversary of a baby brother's death.
He was born 52 years ago on October 29, 1957 and survived only 3 days. Sweet baby was born premature. If he had been born today his chances of survival would have surely improved.
His name was Arthur Jr and he was my parents first son. I remember the funeral and the little white casket. When Arthur was buried he was buried in what was called the babies section of the cemetery. The cemetery buried him free for my parents and he was given a sweet little gravestone by my parents. It is small, white and has his name and dates and a little angel above his name.
We would visit the cemetery every so often, especially on Memorial Day. After we honored our grandparents we would walk a short distance to the baby section of the cemetery. There we would think of a baby we never knew, never held or kissed. My sweet mama or dad were never given the chance to hold Arthur Jr in their arms.
In 1998 Mama passed on and I believe Arthur Jr was waiting for her. He now has her to himself. A year ago daddy left us and is now with them.
Some time between 1998 and 2008 my sister had a brilliant idea. She called the cemetery and asked if we could get Arthur jr moved to rest between our parents.
Once again this cemetery came to a families need. They moved Arthur Jr free and he now rests between our parents.

Today may be Halloween but to me it " All About Arthur Jr " a baby I look forward to seeing some day.

Happy Birthday Baby Brother, I love you.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, what a tender, loving story! "When the roll is called up yonder", you'll all be there! God bless you on this anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for visiting, helps me deal with things I do not talk about when I write it out.

    ReplyDelete

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...