Monday, May 16, 2016

Amanuensis Monday Post 10 Will Of John Lovejoy PAGE 1 Getting To Know My Lovejoy Ancestral Roots POST # 2

Genea-blogger John Newmark (who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog) started his own Monday blog theme many months ago called Amanuensis Monday.What does "amanuensis" mean?John offers this definition:"A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another."


Amanuensis Monday Will of John Lovejoy 1622 - 1690


Found on ancestry 
Essex, Massachusetts Probate Records, 1648-1840

The following page



NameJohn Lovejoy
Probate Date31 Mar 1691
Residence PlaceAndover, Essex, Massachusetts, British America
Probate Typetestate
Inferred Death Year1691
Inferred Death PlaceMassachusetts, British America
File Number17068


I am posting my 9th great grandfather's will that I found in

The Lovejoy Genealogy 
with biographies and history 1400 - 1930 
compiled, written, edited and published
by Clarence Earle Lovejoy

The devotion of John Lovejoy had for his second wife Hannah Pritchard, is demonstrated by the careful provision he made for her in his six page will which is reproduced in this book.
John Lovejoy died Nov 7,1690 and his will was presented for probate Mar 31 1691.

I am typing as it was written in the English and writing of the time.

Page 1

In the name of God amen, I John Lovejoy of Andover in ye county of Essex in New England, being through God's mercy in health and enjoying my understanding & memory yet with all, considering my frailty, being also in age so in yt, respect cannot expect long to continue here, observing also what sudden changes so frequently fall out, knowing it to duly Incumbent for to sett things in order before I goe out of ye Land of the Living do ordain this my last Will & Testament , Committing my soul into ye hands of Jesus Christ my blessed savior & redeemer: my body to a decent bury all in what place ye Lord shall please to call me out of this present life.  In hopes of a joyful resurrection, at ye  resurrection of ye just into Eternal life, & for my outward Estate which it hath pleased ye Lord to lend me I thus dispose as followeth _- first, as to my dearly beloved wife Hannah Lovejoy with whom by Gods good providence we have lived comfortably together in a married condition about 13 years, my desire is that her life may be made comfortable while she continues in this world & for yt end doe give and bequeath unto her my beloved wife Hannah Lovejoy all of east end of my dwelling house  with half ye cellar & she is to have her liberty to chuse which half of ye cellar shall be hers and she to have liberty to Enjoy ye same until her decease or marriage also, I will & bequeath to my loving wife twelve bushels of good and merchantable corn also six pounds of good and merchantable pork, two barrels of cyder , one bushell and halfe of good malt, twelve bushels of good apples, my will is that all this be provided for her and delivered to her yearly during her naturall life, by 12 bushels of corn I mean six of Indian 3 of wheat & three of Rye, also I will & bequeath to my loving wife one good new milch cow for her use during her naturall Life & delivered to her yearly upon ye first day of May and she to Enjoy ye benefitt of it for milk ye Ensuing year.  Also , I will & bequeath to my loving wife five pounds yearly during her life in such things as she shall stand in need of Either at ye Merchants or at home, for clothing - also , a horse and Man to Wait upon her, to carry her to meeting if she desire it.  Also, my Will is that a convenient fire be maintained for her & suitable help in sickness or weakness provided for her & maintained by my son Ebenezer all of ye time of her dwelling in my house.  Also I further declare my mind as concerning a writing which was made between myself & wife about ye time of our marriage respecting her convenience of living after my decease, my will con-

Page 2 to be coming


No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...