Sunday, January 10, 2010

52 Weels To Better Genealogy Challenge 2

Well here is the challenge for week 2 from http://www.geneabloggers.com/52-weeks-challenge-2-local-public-library-continued/

52 Weeks To Better Genealogy - Challenge 2
Go to your local public library branch again. Examine the local history, archives and/or special collections section. Ask a librarian if you don’t know if your library has special collections or where they are located. Be sure to check the reference section, too, as many of the newer and more valuable books are held in that area. If you have a genealogy blog, write about what you find in your library’s local history and special collections.
This challenge runs from Saturday, 9 January 2010 through Friday, 15 January 2010.

I am glad the second week is going to the library again. I have not been there. I jumped in the last day of week 1 Friday late at night and had planned to go on Saturday.

That changed when I was informed I was on the schedule to work Saturday afternoon. This job is just during the tax season. I hope that they get the schedule worked out so I know what I am doing.

So I have this next week to find a day I can go to the library and see what they have. My early post on the library reported that they had a large are relating to the history of the South. At that time I did not think I had any ancestors from the south. After going through my family history last night on my Zion line I noted that I have Bela Millsap born 1797 in Green Tennessee He is my 3rd great grandfather. By 1830 he is in Indiana.

This is a picture of Bela late in life. He is pictured with his second wife who has just died. I look forward to finding more about him and his first wife Elizabeth McGuyer in the future.
That is the mystery of genealogy, your family history, there is always more to search for. It is an unending mystery.
Thanks for stopping by... I hope that you will visit again ... Grace

4 comments:

  1. From my "In Deeds" blog to you -- I'd like to pass along the Happy 101 Award to your blog.
    A copy can be found at: http://indeeds.blogspot.com/2010/01/happy-101-award-for-in-deeds.html

    Cathy Palm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for participating in week 2 of the challenge. I'm glad you don't mind going to the library again. I wasn't sure how participants would react. There's so much to do at the library, I was just trying to break the tasks into pieces. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debbie,
    The fun of doing genealogy is that after a few years, when you go back through your records, you can find these little surprises. It happened to me during on eo fhte Irish Festivals when I was able to find an Irish Awylard in my family tree.
    Evelyn in Montreal

    ReplyDelete

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...