Sunday, January 31, 2010

Finding My Great Grandparents Arthur and Mabel Hall






Once again the Internet and emails to the rescue. Last week I wanted to see if I could find the gravestones at http://www.findagrave.com/ for my great grandparents Arthur and Mabel (Coleman) Hall to no avail.

My information had them buried at Crawford Nebraska but I could find no picture of their graves. I found contributors to the cemeteries in that area and sent off a couple of requests for help.

Yesterday I received an email giving me this web site http://nebraskagravestones.org/

and that I would find my family their at City Cemetery in Crawford.

One more piece of information to put into my family book.

One interesting piece of history of Crawford Nebraska can be found at their home page. They have put this bit of history there. " Established in 1886 as a new community along the Fremont, Elkhorn, and Missouri Valley Railroad just outside the Fort Robinson military reservation, Crawford was named in honor of Captain Emmet Crawford, formerly stationed at the nearby post and who had just recently been killed by Mexican irregulars along the U. S. Mexico border. The town soon gained a reputation as the toughest in the west, with saloons outnumbering churches. The arrival of a second railroad , the Burlington Quincy line provided additional boost to the community.
My family history has that Arthur moved to Nebraska in 1898 and lived in Geneva and Taylor. They moved to Crawford in 1919. He passed away in June of that year of hardening of the arteries around the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...