Thursday, March 31, 2011

ORGANIZING MY PAPER FILES TO BETTER MY RESEARCH

Lately I have been feeling so unorganized with my genealogy files. I have piles of papers that need to be filed, research to be done and family to learn about.

I have family tree program but am so behind putting information into it using ancestry to gain my information, printing out census or copying pictures but that is far as it has gone lately.

Most genealogists use one of three methods or a combination of methods
File folders
3 ring binders
computer storage

I have the computer storage but not up to date. I am also using the three ring binders but not kept up with my filing. I then thought of starting a file box but do I need another method really.

I have decided to continue with my binders and forget another method. In the past I had divided my family into 2 binders for my mother's family and one for my father's side.

I am working to start organizing my paper files. Last week I divided my mother's side into 2 binders and my father's side into 2 binders. All are different colors to help keep my research straight.

Next is do make sure I have a 5 generation family pedigree for each of my great great grandparents and a family group record for each of my families and then to start filing what I have already.

From there I hope to work on time lines and to start working on research logs better than I have in the past.

How do you keep up with your research and filing your research. I know that I need to improve here so I am not copying the same papers over and over.

Hope that you all have a great night with your family research. Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...