Wednesday, March 28, 2012

GETTING READY FOR THE 1940 CENSUS ~ USING CITY DIRECTORIES

We are nearing the time that the 1940 census will be available. Only days away from when we can begin to add to our family research trees.

Today I was on ancestry to see what is available in the city directories.  It is in beta only at this time so not all states are available.  The database is a collection of directories for U.S. cities and counties in various years. At this time it contains directories for the following states:
  • California
  • Connecticut
  • Georgia
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Missouri
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • Texas
  • Virginia
I decided to see what I could find on my great grand uncle Wayne Esler. His first name was Jessie but I only knew him as Wayne. He was found in the Michigan city directory.

Jesse W Esler
Gender:M (Male)
Residence Year:1939
Street Address:14 E Hobson av
Residence Place:Flint, Michigan
Occupation:Slsmn
Spouse:Mary E Esler
Publication Title:





Flint, Michigan, City Directory, 1939

I checked the city directory on Mary's name and she appears to not to be working. Jessie is living with his wife Mary. Looking at the directory I see he was a salesman at the Mills Bakery.  I have now found out some information about my uncle Wayne that I did not know or do not remember. He worked for a bakery as a salesman. They also owned their home.

In the 1930 census Wayne was living in Mora Minnesota with his mother and father at the age of 21.  Nine years later he is in Michigan and married to Mary.
What I would love to learn is Mary's last name, how they met and where they married.
Wayne was born April 1 1909 in Mora, Minnesota and passed away the 23 of February 1990 in Hillman, Montmorency, Michigan.

Family research is great. As I write on my uncle Wayne I can still hear his wonderful laugh.
If you think we may be related I would love to hear from you
Thanks for stopping by.. Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...