Thursday, March 1, 2012

Fearless Females Blog Post 18 - Favorite Female Ancestor ~ HARRIET CARPENTER CHRISMAN ANDERSON COCOGNE

March will be Fearless Female Month over at Accidental Genealogist. I will post all or some of the prompts during the month of March. I checked to see what and how many postings I had accomplished last year. I posted 17 times during that month. You can read what I posted for March 1 2011 here. I had posted on three of my favorite women. I will attempt to use different family members

March 1 — Do you have a favorite female ancestor? One you are drawn to or want to learn more about? Write down some key facts you have already learned or what you would like to learn and outline your goals and potential sources you plan to check.

This March 1, 2012,  I have chosen my 3rd great grandmother Harriet CARPENTER ANDERSON COCOGNE.
Harriet was born December 13 1814 in Rome New York to Harmon and Phoebe CHRISTMAN CARPENTER and died December 5th 1908 in Wabasha Minnesota. She was married a total of three times.
First husband David CHRISMAN ( may of been a first cousin) married when Harriet was 19 years old. Harriet had two children by him, David Chauncey and Monica. Husband David CHRISMAN dies in 1836.
In 1837 Harriet marries Levi ANDERSON, they have 6 children together. The first being Betsey my great great grandmother. Other children are Abram, Phoebe, William, George and then Fairfax. In 1858 Levi dies, we have not found his obit or grave. There was a Levi Anderson who died 1860 found frozen to death, alcohol being the cause. We do not know if this is the same Levi Anderson of New York.
Third husband Charles COCOGNE  marries Harriet in 1872 and dies in 1900. Harriet dies in 1908 and is buried in the Pleasant Prairie Cemetery in Zumbro, Minnesota. Harriet lived to almost be 94 years old , she out lived 3 husbands and 5 children.
Harriet did not live to know that two of her grandsons would be murdered. In 1927 her first son David's son George is murdered in a neighbor dispute and in 1929 daughter Betsey's son George is murdered while doing his job as a guard at the docks in Duluth, Minnesota. This crime was never solved.
I am sure there is a lot to learn about Harriet and I have just started my search for her. I am pleased I was able to find her grave in 1999 and was able to leave her a flower at that time.
Some of the questions I have
1. Was first husband David really a cousin or not.
2. When did second husband die, did he die when family says or was he the Levi ANDERSON who froze to death.
3. What was life like for Harriet during the years she lived. I have the feeling that her father HARMON was a powerful controlling man over her and her second husband Levi.

Thanks for stopping by for my first Fearless Female posting. I hope that you will take a moment to look around at other postings and if you think we may be related I would love to hear from you.  Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...