Sunday, January 29, 2012

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy: Week 4 Free OFFline Genealogy Tools

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy: Week 4 Free OFFline Genealogy Tools
A bit late but better late than never

This is Week 4 of Amy Coffin’s Abundant Genealogy series.  

Free Offline genealogy tools: Which free off line genealogy tool are you most grateful?  How did you find this tool and how has it benefitted your genealogy.

My favorite off line tool is the National Archives in Washington DC. Takes a bit of work to get there from Minnesota, but I was able to go twice while my husband was at conferences in DC back in his working days.

I would get on the subway and travel to the right stop and then walk a certain path to find my way. At the end of my day I would back track to the subway and go back to our hotel. I felt so brave wandering by myself in this big city.

At the National Archives I would enter and pass the guards through the medal detector.  I had to get a pass with my name on it and then find my way to the right floors to find what ever I wanted to search for. I would fill my card with money so I could make copies of all the records I wanted.

I was fortunate to find the Civil War records of my great great grandfather John Lockwood.  Some of those papers are his application for a pension. How he stated he had pain and was able to not work like he used to do. My thoughts at that time were and still are " Poor Grandpa ".

To find Revoluntionary records on my grandfathers John Rouse. At ancestry is this file number  information on his War pension. I was able to copy many of these papers on him.


Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files, 1800-1900
about John Rouse   my fifth great grandfather.

Name: John Rouse
Pension Year: 1834
Application State: New York
Applicant Designation: Survivor's Pension Application File
Archive Publication Number: M804
Archive Roll Number: 2090
Total Pages in Packet: 112

I was able to also find information on my 5th great grandfather Joseph Cheuvront at the archives.  He also lived during the revolutionary war. Among my papers is a copy of a letter he wrote to his children and descendants about live a good life and not being sinful, the story of him arriving in this country and becoming involved with the Methodist and traveling with Rev Henckel.  I will have to find and share this some day with you.
If you by chance every find the opportunity to visit the National Archives it is a wonderful place to search for your ancestors.

Thanks for stopping by, if you should think we are related I would love to hear from you . Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...