Sunday, February 5, 2012

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy: Week 6 Family Heirlooms

Family Heirlooms


This is the sixth week of Amy Coffin’s series on Abundant Genealogy.

Week 6 – Family Heirlooms: For which family heirloom are you most thankful? How did you acquire this treasure and what does it mean to you and your family
I have many family heirlooms.  How do I possibly pick  my favorite or what I am thankful for ?
I treasure my mother's wedding ring that I wear most days.  If I still had her I would not have it and would gladly give it back to her.  Same with my aunt Daisy's ring, she wore it to work and church and I admired it every time I saw it.  I would gladly turn it back over to her.  I have my grandmother's ring, I do not remember her wearing it but I also would love to give it back to her also.
I have vintage albums and family photos, other pieces of jewelry and glassware.  Any furniture I was given I have passed on to my boys already.  This is from my mother's side.
I have very little from my father's side. My grandmother died before I was born and we lived in Minnesota while grandpa Zion lived in Washington.  But I do have from that side my grandmothers autograph book from when she was a teenager which my grandpa wrote in before they married.  I have a souvenier from the 1893 Chicago Worlds Fair that was given to my great grandmother Mabel Coleman Hall from great grandfather Arthur Hall.  I also have several bibles from that side of the family.
I also have letters and cards that both grandmother's wrote to the family and a couple letters from grandpa Zion. I love to see their handwriting.  I have letters from my mother to me and from my father to my mother.
I guess what I treasure most is the letters, with these I am seeing their thoughts and their hand writing.  They are still with me when I read them, as the jewelry when I wear it I feel they are still with me.
What family treasures are you most thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...