Monday, December 6, 2010

Advent Calendar - December 5 - Outdoor Decorations

This Blog is pleased to join with other GeneaBloggers around the world in presenting this Advent Calendar over the next 24 days leading up to the Christmas celebration. There will be a different topic each day. I will attempt to post on each of the topics.

On the 5th Day of Christmas, I am supposed to talk about Outdoor Decorations.

I grew up in the 1950's and I remember no real outdoor decorations. There may of been a wreath on the door but nothing like we see today with the huge displays of lights, huge plastic Santa's and characters from the " Grinch Who Stole Christmas" by Dr. Seuss.

I believe it was a different time. The decorations were inside and had not moved outdoors for all to see. The tree may of been in the window for those passing by to view. I remember fake candles in the window. The candle stem was a beige plastic, there would be 5 candles at varying heights and they had Christmas bulbs screwed in at the end to look like a flame. They were placed in the windows and plugged in at night.
Every once in awhile I will still see something like this is a window. It always makes me think of my childhood and another time.

I am doing these Christmas memories of my childhood only. I will print and give to my sons and grandchildren for them to read if they like someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...